Pender Harbour BBS
 - Forums - Reply - Statistics - Sign Up - Search - Go to Live Chat   

Pender Harbour BBS / BEYOND THE FERRY TERMINAL: Issues of interest from beyond the Sunshine Coast. / BC doctors salaries
dynagirl
# Posted: 2 Sep 2006 09:55

Here is an interesting link that should get some interesting thoughts

http://www.healthservices.gov.bc.ca/msp/legislatio n/pdf/bluebook2005.pdf

It sure opened my eyes!!

annonymous
# Posted: 2 Sep 2006 10:11

Wow! If you look closely enough you can find some of our local Doctors in there...;-)

Myrwin
# Posted: 2 Sep 2006 11:51 - Edited by: Myrwin

I rounded the numbers off to the nearest thousand, and keep in mind that these figures are just for MSP billing (they have other sources of income, such as WCB).

Robinson - $230,000
Cairns - $225,000
Farrer - $212,000
Naidoo - $211,000

formerbluenose
# Posted: 2 Sep 2006 14:05

also keep in mind that they have to pay for office expences out of that money ie:rent, salaries, tongue depressers, insurance, taxes etc.... and the fact that they had to go to school for 10 years to be able to practice medicine. why do they just practice anyway sooner or later they should get it right. lol

Myrwin
# Posted: 2 Sep 2006 14:19 - Edited by: Myrwin

why do they just practice anyway sooner or later they should get it right

LOL@Bluenose!

Yes, you're right about their overhead, and some doctors also spend a fair amount of time keeping up with new developments in medicine.

You must remember, down east in the day, when your family doc had an office in the basement or back of his home and his wife was often the receptionist, secretary, bookkeeper and his assistant. Everyone smoked and kids were given candy for not crying! Plus, 24-hour a day housecalls, and if you ever needed one, you crossed your fingers that Doc hadn't been too heavily into the sauce when he came by ;-)

dynagirl
# Posted: 2 Sep 2006 15:30 - Edited by: dynagirl

The doctor that delivered my first child is in there as well. It was an emergency c-section. I ran into the woman (years later) he was working on when I came into the hospital, and accorging to her he was rather p/o'd at me cause i was scheduled for a c-section in 5 days time, but went into labor early. Because she was breech, it was an emergency.
4 days after the birth i developed a massive infection, spent 3 years in pain because of scar tissue damage etc. etc. I have had public health nurses tell me the man should not hold a license to practice. While having my second child, another woman had my previous doctor, and I could tell that he had botched her as well. It was not until my second c-section (another emergency) that all the damaged tissue was taken out, and 6 weeks later i felt better than i had in many years. I adamantly demanded the first doctor not do the surgery, and lucky for me he was on call in 1/2 hours time, so I did not have any problems, and the second doctor carefully removed all scar tissue from the first botched c-section.
As I read the salaries, my mouth almost dropped open. The first doctor's salary was $599,542.00 for last year...the second doctor (my saviour) was $437,047.00 which I believe she earned every penny.
I now wish i would have sued the bugger, and had gotten a string of women behind me that went through the horrors of his scalpel.

Sorry...just had to vent...I feel much better now.

Myrwin
# Posted: 2 Sep 2006 16:06

My personal favourite is the coast doctor who diagnosed my hepatitis c symptoms as depression and referred me for counselling-- no, let me change that-- the coast doctor who diagnosed my gallstones as hep c symptoms-- no, no-- I mean the ER doc at St. Mary's who put my shattered arm and dislocated elbow in a cast and sent me home with T3s saying, "it's a nice clean break,"-- no, no, I mean the doctor....

It's not like I'm pulling anomalies out of a long medical history here; the arm and the hep c (which caused the gallstones) are the only serious health problems I've had in my 50+ years of life.

Irol
# Posted: 2 Sep 2006 17:31

I had lived here for about 6 months or so and become very ill - lost weight, couldn't stop throwing up, tired all the time, so I went to see the local doctor. He did a blood test, said my iron was low, and that I had mono.

Well, "mono" turned out to be a healthy baby girl that will be eleven later this year.

Myrwin
# Posted: 2 Sep 2006 17:58

Is that why they call mono the "kissing disease?"
<g>

Bent Willi
# Posted: 2 Sep 2006 23:12

I had lived here for about 6 months or so and become very ill - lost weight, couldn't stop throwing up, tired all the time, so I went to see the local doctor. He did a blood test, said my iron was low, and that I had mono.
And you had no reason to believe you were pregnant???????

Myrwin
# Posted: 3 Sep 2006 00:05

Why would you think pregnant when the doctor diagnoses mono???????

Irol
# Posted: 3 Sep 2006 14:21

And you had no reason to believe you were pregnant???????

LOL...well, some reason....

but, I was only 19, and I figured that the "doctor" would have the knowledge to at least help me figure out what was wrong. Mono certainly explained my symptoms.

Jack
# Posted: 4 Sep 2006 19:27

Not a good idea to use this forum to complain about doctors, especially from long ago. Canadian doctors are some of the very best in the world.

The more's the pity that we don't have enough medical services around the Harbour these days....but that's because this place lacks sufficient employment for young people. The way we are going, we will all end up just being hawers of wood and carriers of water for those fat cats building waterfront homes.

There IS a way out of this mess....that's to get our own local government that can boost economic development around the Harbour instead of being subserviant to a SCRD board to which we can only elect one charming guy as our so-called " District A Representative".

Burton
# Posted: 4 Sep 2006 20:02

Hi Jack,
Are you suggesting we're losing out on economic development that Gibsons & Sechelt manage to wrangle with their incorporated gov'ts, and more weighted votes at the SCRD? Like what?
I share your concern, but I haven't exactly seen industry booming in those areas, either (only real estate, same as Pender), and I think the perception that governments can create employment and industry is often a bit overrated. They can definitely drive it away, though, but I haven't seen the SCRD doing that...

Burton
# Posted: 4 Sep 2006 20:06

Dammit -- just realized we're definitely not talking about doctors anymore. Perhaps we should resume this discussion on "LOCAL ISSUES: What is the future of Pender Harbour?" Ironically, the last post on there seems to be about doctors' salaries...

ted
# Posted: 4 Sep 2006 20:36

the usual boasters of economic growth are war or disease

John Rees
# Posted: 4 Sep 2006 20:55

As our so called "District A Representative" I would like to respond to the last four or five postings, they seem like they may make a good discussion.
To do so will take Burton`s advise and switch to Local Issues, ie, the future of Pender Harbour.

MaddyPark
# Posted: 4 Sep 2006 21:44

The more's the pity that we don't have enough medical services around the Harbour these days....but that's because this place lacks sufficient employment for young people.
Please explain to me how employment for young people would lead to enough medical services. What exactly do you feel is lacking???

Your answer

Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link  Disable BB codes *What's that?

» Name  » Password 
 Only registered users can post here. Enter your login/password correctly before posting a message, or register first.