Pender Harbour BBS
 - Forums - Reply - Statistics - Sign Up - Search - Go to Live Chat   

Pender Harbour BBS / BEYOND THE FERRY TERMINAL: Issues of interest from beyond the Sunshine Coast. / more Science vs. Religion
dar7yl
# Posted: 1 Oct 2007 00:35

to continue Science vs. Religion

This is a neat link on optical illusions which nails the coffin on creationist theory:

http://www.ucl.ac.uk/media/library/robotillusions

chupacabra
# Posted: 2 Oct 2007 13:02

I am confused dar7yl. Was there another Eden with a robot Adam and Eve? But robots don't eat apples. Did the tree of knowledge have cans of WD40? Is there a robot bible? It just doesn't make sense#!@

dar7yl
# Posted: 5 Oct 2007 11:09

In the original thread, I commented on how creationists use "Optical Illusions" as proof of god's existance.

This article describes how optical illusions can be explained entirely by mechanical processes - in fact have been replicated in an artificial vision system, modeled after the evolutionary theory of human/mammal optical development.

J Ellis
# Posted: 5 Oct 2007 22:56 - Edited by: J Ellis

or maybe god just made it so that they could be mechanically reproduced as a counter to proof of his existence, which would negate the need for faith ...... without faith he'd be just a regular shmoe.

Steven Taylor
# Posted: 6 Oct 2007 07:34

Ah life without faith. What a dismal thought. What is the opposite of faith?

formerbluenose
# Posted: 6 Oct 2007 07:55

tim :-) lol

Steven Taylor
# Posted: 6 Oct 2007 17:49

??? umm help I must be out of a loop there unless your talking Monty Python but even then I must admit I still miss the LOL

Myrwin
# Posted: 6 Oct 2007 18:22

Maybe there's a couple, Tim and Faith?

Steven Taylor
# Posted: 6 Oct 2007 20:02

Ah ya isn't it Tim McDrawl and North Faith a country and western duet? Hey really enjoy the spell checker I have on here now. I almost forgot the o in country. Wow that would have been embarrassing.

Steven Taylor
# Posted: 6 Oct 2007 20:03

Ok now what is the opposite of faith...?

Myrwin
# Posted: 6 Oct 2007 20:11

Okay, I'll give it a try-- reality.

J Ellis
# Posted: 7 Oct 2007 17:11

proof?............

Steven Taylor
# Posted: 8 Oct 2007 06:02

Honestly I don't know

Reality...no for today is reality and we all have faith in something IE the turkey will brown beautifully this time.

Proof...no for we all see acts of faith everyday IE the Mormon that comes to your door.

Anyone else?

Myrwin
# Posted: 8 Oct 2007 11:09

That faith exists doesn't mean that proof isn't its opposite; e.g. the places of worship are full, but full of people without proof of what they have faith in.

J Ellis
# Posted: 8 Oct 2007 12:03

so it's nothing more than proof of their faith? which can't be the opposite of having faith in their faith.

how about doubt?

Steven Taylor
# Posted: 8 Oct 2007 13:13

ah perhaps doubt is it

Myrwin
# Posted: 8 Oct 2007 18:18 - Edited by: Myrwin

Doubt, which assumes that one is uncertain, seems a bit weak as an opposite of faith, which implies certainy.

I think disbelief might be what we're looking for.

J Ellis
# Posted: 8 Oct 2007 21:06 - Edited by: J Ellis

isn't uncertainty the opposite of certainty?
then doubt (uncertain) could well be the opposite of faith (certain)

Steven Taylor
# Posted: 9 Oct 2007 05:39

I think that both doubt and uncertainty could be the opposite of faith. Yet both seem pale when placed against the strength of the word faith.
Disbelief is just belief with a prefix. Though it too could work as belief and faith are quite often used to describe a similar situation. Improperly though as belief describes a thought that may be changed with the proper information. Whereas faith comes without the need for proof and therefore would be much more difficult to change.
Thanks for the brain storming you two.

Steven Taylor
# Posted: 9 Oct 2007 05:44

Ah wait I wish to remove uncertainty from the possible opposites list. For certainty is not faith. Certainty involves proof. Faith does not.
ARGGGG

J Ellis
# Posted: 9 Oct 2007 08:00

Certainty is not the same as faith but sometimes it's the result of faith.
it does not require proof....how may times have we had the discussion regarding people's beliefs and a complete lack of facts

chupacabra
# Posted: 9 Oct 2007 09:19 - Edited by: chupacabra

It depends on what faith you are talking about. I have faith that my car will get me to work in the morning because it has for 5 years without letting me down. This is not certainty as was stated earlier because it can and has broken down in the past, just faith based on my experience. Faith in god on the other hand could be better described as "blind absolute faith", because there is nothing to base it on but a feeling and the fact many people tell us it is true, and for those that have faith they are certain. In this sense, both "proof" and "reality" are opposites as a true believer needs neither of these because they have faith.

Reality...no for today is reality and we all have faith in something IE the turkey will brown beautifully this time.

Different faith, plus the "brown turkey" is only reality when it comes out of the oven that way and at that point faith is no longer required.

Proof...no for we all see acts of faith everyday IE the Mormon that comes to your door.

That is merely proof that faith exists. There is no proof for that which believers have faith in.

Some may argue that there is proof in the existence of God but I have yet to hear anything that will sway me :)

dar7yl
# Posted: 9 Oct 2007 11:48

And God said: "Thou shalt have no other gods before me"

That means that there is only one god.

You claim that the god you believe in is the One True God

I claim that the god I believe in is the One True God

Either my god can beat up your god

or,

god is everywhere, he is in me.

Therefore, I AM GOD! BOW DOWN BEFORE ME, HEATHENS.

Myrwin
# Posted: 9 Oct 2007 13:52

And God said: "Thou shalt have no other gods before me"
That means that there is only one god.

Um, sorry... it implies that there are other gods.

Your answer

Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link  Disable BB codes *What's that?

» Name  » Password 
 Only registered users can post here. Enter your login/password correctly before posting a message, or register first.