Pender Harbour BBS
 - Forums - Reply - Statistics - Sign Up - Search - Go to Live Chat   

Pender Harbour BBS / LOCAL KNOWLEDGE: Enquiries about Pender Harbour people, services, etc. / Pender Harbour Auto Court
kurtz
# Posted: 26 Dec 2006 04:03

Hi All,

I have been prospectively offered a job as general caretaker at the Pender Harbour Auto Court and would just like to field any local concerns about this business. I don't have any prior knowledge of the place and would like to hear any input about it. I am excited about perhaps making the move but have also felt some trepidation in regard to certain problems caused by the current residents... One of the owners has told me that he has had problems with the residents in the past and that the place needs some cleaning up.

Could anyone help out with opinions or advice?

Thanks in advance,

Alex

annonymous
# Posted: 26 Dec 2006 08:57

One of the owners has told me that he has had problems with the residents in the past and that the place needs some cleaning up.

Both of those are understatements...sorry...

and could you get rid of the crack dealers?...seriously!...

Welcome and best of luck to you on your new job.

kurtz
# Posted: 26 Dec 2006 11:55 - Edited by: kurtz

Dear Anonymous,

So what you are implying is that I have been fed "understatements" by my prospective employer? That could not be farther from the truth. In fact, I was told in great detail (perhaps not going as far as describing specific drugs being used) about various goings on down at the Pender Harbour Auto Court.

Anonymous, it is you who has added a third understatement in your desire that I "get rid of the crack dealers?...seriously!...". How do you propose we do that ? I am sure we would all like to get rid of things that annoy and mystify us, that irritate and disgust us but unfortunatley it is never so simple. I admit that I asked for opinions but your facetiousness does no help at all.

I'll go into more detail here in outlining specific questions:

-If there is a hard drug problem, how long has it been going on for?

-How run down are the buildings?

-Do the police regularily visit the Auto Court or is it ignored?

-Are there any drug or alcohol treatment centers nearby?

Above all I am interested in perhaps cleaning the place up and making it a better place to live. My employer has mentioned the possibility of paying for renovations on the property. Essentially, I would like to ask if the problems with the Auto Court are primarily aesthetic (easily remedied with a bit of cash and some TLC)or if they stem more from social problems in Garden Bay and it's surrounding areas. Low employment is part of the problem I am sure...

Thanks again!

Myrwyn
# Posted: 26 Dec 2006 13:20 - Edited by: Myrwyn

Kurtz,

Other than the fact that there are no drug or alcohol treatment centres nearby, the other questions cannot be answered by observers or the answers will be subjective.

Annie gave you his opinion, and you dismissed it. What are you looking for?

It sounds like you're considering relocating to accept this job, that's a big step (presumably you're moving from further away than Madeira Park). Perhaps you should make a visit, spend a few days learning more about the Auto Court, before you put all your eggs in that basket.

You've already talked with Jack and Char, now you need to have a look at the premises, meet the tenants, talk to the neighbours (business and residential), talk to a former manager or two and maybe even ask at the RCMP station in Sechelt.

But, keep in mind that you'll still be hearing, for the most part, opinions. Ultimately it's up to you to weigh the truth, or not, of the spoken word, and to decide if you want to take on the responsibility of turning around the Auto Court's less than stellar reputation, which it has held for some years now, since (the late) Louise Bernier managed the premises. Which is, only my opinion.

kurtz
# Posted: 26 Dec 2006 14:27 - Edited by: kurtz

Thanks for the measured and articulate response...

Perhaps, it is the subjective thats important to me in this matter. Annie's opinion is quite subjective and I welcome more of them in this tone. My apologies for accusing him of facetiousness, but "getting rid" of anyone is akin to witch hunting and we have, i would like to believe, progressed beyond these sorts of reactions.

At the same time I'm no bleeding heart liberal myself and feel that these problems stem from the welfare system and both the landlords and the tenants reliance upon this skewed system. Welfare is not the answer and if anything, makes the problems worse. It is a form of institutionalization, yet from a distanced, hands-off perspective. In my opinion its the lack of employment and the empowerment and dignity that honest work provides that is lacking in these situations. People need to have direct input into and have an affect upon the communities they live in.

My partner and I plan a visit to the property this weekend to have a look around. Is the Main House, where presumably we will be staying, boarded up? Is it being squatted?

annonymous
# Posted: 26 Dec 2006 14:42 - Edited by: annonymous

I admit that I asked for opinions but your facetiousness does no help at all.

Sorry, I usually can't help my self.

To answer your questions...
-Are there any drug or alcohol treatment centers nearby?
-Do the police regularily visit the Auto Court or is it ignored?
-If there is a hard drug problem, how long has it been going on for?

These could all be answered by the local community policing station or the Sechelt branch of the RCMP.

-How run down are the buildings?

If you're going to visit, you'll see, I suggest you don't get your hopes up.
Maybe you will look at the place and see some potential in it...the place could use some positive energy.

kurtz
# Posted: 26 Dec 2006 16:30

If you're going to visit, you'll see, I suggest you don't get your hopes up.
Maybe you will look at the place and see some potential in it...the place could use some positive energy.

yes, we shall see, and i hope that we don't feel totally hopeless at the first sight of it! thanks again for your help...

Myrwyn
# Posted: 27 Dec 2006 12:39

These could all be answered by the local community policing station

They aren't allowed to give information about drug problems or RCMP calls, investigations and complaints, and certainly can't comment on reported activities of Auto Court tenants.

i hope that we don't feel totally hopeless at the first sight of it

Depends if you're looking for potential or not. It is truly a nice setting in a lovely community.

I don't have any prior knowledge of the place <snip> problems caused by the current residents

So you have *some* knowledge of the place.

...lack of employment and the empowerment and dignity that honest work provides that is lacking

I agree, in *many* cases but not all. Too often you're dealing with physical and/or mental illness. For the rest, although the local labour force enjoyed a boost these past few years with a construction boom, that's grinding to a halt as we run out of infrastructure to service new developments. All that's left is the mainly seasonal, low-paying service industry.

If there is a hard drug problem, how long has it been going on for ... are there any ... treatment centers nearby?

Are you thinking of turning the place into a treatment centre?

Steven Taylor
# Posted: 27 Dec 2006 16:42

Kurtz.
Beware of the septic field. This info is circa 2002.

In the words of Eric Idle, "Burn the witches. Burn'em"

kurtz
# Posted: 27 Dec 2006 17:38

Beware of the septic field. This info is circa 2002.

Can someone translate this for me?

And no, we aren't planning on turning it into a treatment center.

tania
# Posted: 30 Dec 2006 21:10

Welll...My mother ran the Auto court from 1990 until her death in 2001 and had that place looking beautiful. After she died it went downhill. I must admit to you though, 99% of her hard work was out of her own pocket. The owners of the place ( I wont mention any names) are very very cheap and are unwilling to put any money into the place. For the 11 years she worked there as caretaker, she never had holidays, holiday pay or a raise! When she died and we had to clear the place out...the owner stood behind me as I packed up her belongings telling me to put these things back because they belonged to the Auto Court! I had to pull out photos of me when I was 5 years old with the questioned articles in the photo for him to believe they were my mom's things. Anyhow....The Auto Court was my home for most of my teen years, I have a dog and 2 cats burried there, I brought my 2 children home from the hospital there, and have had 11 Christmas dinners and many birthdays celebrated in that little house...what I'm trying to say here is that I hope you can turn the place around into the beautiful resort it used to be. My mom would be smiling from up above....good luck to you and I wish you the best...

Roadranger
# Posted: 30 Dec 2006 21:55

The one problem is the Auto court is staggering distance from the GBP.

The biggest problem is property owners that don't care the property value is up there so if the right buyer comes along I imagine the place will be bulldozed.

Its probably going to be a big job to change the Auto court around to be a respectable place again.

Maude
# Posted: 20 Jan 2007 02:48

Tania, I think that the gardens will somehow be looked after. it seems to be a unwritten rule. There is an Angel out there that will look after your mum too.

I salute the new manager of the Auto court, good luck, if you need help with inquires, I think I can help.

I think we may get some sunshine this week.

Your answer

Bold Style  Italic Style  Underlined Style  Image Link  URL Link  Disable BB codes *What's that?

» Name  » Password 
 Only registered users can post here. Enter your login/password correctly before posting a message, or register first.